The 10 Most Exciting Movie Adaptations Coming Out This Year
2014 was a great year for movies and 2015 is looking promising with the announcement of a dozen books being made into movies this year alone. And two, possibly even three, of them star Jennifer Lawrence– which is amazing news all on its own. Personally, I love to read the book first and then watch it come to life on the big screen, so I have a lot of reading to do, and if you’re like me you better get moving down the list- starting now!
Here is Chrissa Hardy’s List of 10 books to read before they hit the big screen this year:
1. Lisa Genova’s “Still Alice” This novel describes the amazing story of a successful woman who begins experiencing early onset Alzheimer’s disease. Starring Julianne Moore, the movie adaptation hits theaters starting January 16th.
2. Nathaniel Philbrick’s “In the Heart of the Sea” Starring Chris Hemsworth and Cillian Murphy, the film adaptation of the incredible story about the tragic sinking of the Essex hits theaters March 13th.
3. Veronica Roth’s “Insurgent” If you enjoyed the first installment of the thrilling trilogy, “Divergent”, you will definitely enjoy the sequel, “Insurgent”. Starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, book two will be hitting theaters March 20th. So if you haven’t already read the amazing book series, you better get started now!
4. Ron Rash’s “Serena” Serena describes a story about a newlywed couple set on building a timber empire in the woodlands of North Carolina. Serena, played by the amazing Jennifer Lawrence, is a fiercely loyal wife whose “feathers are never ruffled”. Another exciting addition to the movie is that Bradley Cooper will once again star alongside Ms. Lawrence. Be sure to read the awesome novel before it hits theaters March 26th.
5. Nicholas Sparks’ “The Longest Ride” All the Nicholas Sparks lovers out there better get to Barnes and Noble and check this one off the list before it comes to theaters this April. This beautifully written novel describes a cowboy love story with an intersecting story of a 91-year-old WWII veteran who is dealing with the loss of his beloved wife 9 years earlier.
6. Andy Weir’s “The Martian” This captivating novel tells the story of Mark Watney and his battle for survival after becoming stranded after a dust storm forces his crew to abandon him after landing on Mars. The movie adaption will star Matt Damon, Kate Mara, Kristen Wiig, and Jessica Chastain and is due to hit theaters November 25th.
7. John Green’s “Paper Towns” If you were a fan of “The Fault in Our Stars” you should definitely give this book a read. John Green is a literary genius with his capturing of young love, resilience, and the human spirit. The movie will star Carla Delevingne and Nat Wolff and comes to theaters June 5th.
8. Thomas Hardy’s “Far From the Madding Crowd” Although written in the 1800s this book has a timeless appeal that is still very relevant today.The movie will star Carey Mulligan, Michael Sheen, and Tom Sturridge. Be sure to give this one a read before it comes to theaters May 1st.
9. Kyril Bonfiglioli’s “Don’t Point That Thing at Me” This is the first book in the trilogy about art dealer Charlie Mortdecai and his battle between right and wrong, sane and insane, good and evil. The film adaption for this amazing book looks more than promising with an all-star cast including Johnny Depp, Olivia Munn, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Ewan McGregor. You better get reading because this movie comes to theaters January 23th.
10. James Dashner’s “The Scorch Trials”
If you haven’t read the first installment of this three-book series, “Maze Runner”, go read that now and then read this one after! The fast-paced, heart stopping trilogy will keep you enthralled till the very end. The first book has already been made into an awesome movie and the second is soon to follow, coming to theaters September 18th and starring Dylan O’Brian, Thomas Brodie-Sangster, and Kaya Scodelario.
ONCEKids Publishing is run by literacy advocate and Mompreneur Eileen Wacker. Click here to find her acclaimed books